The Art of Argument
Using logic, strategy and empathy for collaborative discussions.
This adult course will run online via zoom for 5 consecutive weeks every Wednesday from 17.30 - 18.30 GMT (first day until 18.45) on the following dates:
12th, 19th, 26th of January
2nd of February
LEARN HOW TO...
- Move beyond exchanges of opinion to collaborative discussions
- Disentangle disagreements by tracing them back to the underlying assumptions
- Work towards a joint solution or shared understanding
- End inconclusive conversations amicably, knowing why agreement wasn’t possible
- Understand what’s happening in a disagreement and intervene constructively
- Adopt a win-win strategy for arguing, rather than win-lose
WHERE YOU CAN USE THIS
- These skills can make you more effective at work, especially if you need to persuade others or adjudicate when others disagree.
- You can have more satisfying and functional discussions in your personal life (e.g. family meetings, relationship check-ins, conversations with housemates etc).
- You will be more effective in political debates, able to listen and reply with more precision and presence.
- You will understand arguments and disagreements of all kinds more clearly.
Read more about the course here.