An introduction to Philosophical Enquiry (PhiE)
Although specifically aimed at training philosophers to become accredited Specialist Philosophy Teachers with The Philosophy Foundation, this course is also open to individual teachers and practitioners wanting to train with us. No background in philosophy is necessary to join us on this course.
Stage 1 looks in-depth at the theory and practice of facilitating philosophical enquiries with children and young people. It is a thorough and (we are told) highly enjoyable combination of theory and practice, and is suitable for those new to P4C / PwC as well as those who have experience. This course is suitable for anyone interested in developing and learning about different facilitation techniques for running philosophical enquiries with children or adults.
The two day course is £250 and you will:
- Develop teaching and questioning strategies that deepen philosophical thinking.
- Take part in a number of philosophical enquiries.
- Deliver your own philosophical enquiry.
- Come away with skills and resources applicable to a range of situations where good thinking and dialogue take place.
- Receive a handbook on everything covered on the course.
- Receive a copy of our flag ship book The If Machine (or alternative).
- No philosophical qualification is necessary for attending the course.
The Philosophy Foundation’s method (PhiE) falls under the term P4C (see our P4C page to find out how) and has been developed over 15 years of practice, working directly with the children on a daily basis.