Entrepreneurialism: wants and needs
Set the class the following task: to invent (or simply to name) something that people will need but not want, something they will want but not need, and something they will want and need.
Conceptual comparison exercise
Task Question: What are the differences/similarities between ‘need’ and ‘want’?
- Place two hoops or pieces of string (to form two circles) on the floor, not overlapping.
- Above one write ‘needs’ and above the other write ‘wants’.
- Invite the children to write words on pieces of paper to place in the hoops.
- If necessary, set the tasks from the previous ‘Entrepreneur’ task.
- If necessary, place the following words on the floor for the class to place:
- Christmas presents
- Healthy food
- Junk food
You may want to set the task of coming up with something that is neither a need nor a want.
- 40 Lessons… : ‘Ropes and Hoops’ (page 37), A Plan, Money, money, money,
- Once Upon an If: Sindbad and The Saddle, Il Duomo, The Valley of The Diamonds,
- The If Machine: Republic Island, The Ring of Gyges
- TPF website: Republic Island – economics by Melina La Firenza