What is Young Philosophers Club?
Young Philosophers Club is where we think and talk about some of the most interesting and puzzling things in life. Through games, stories and thought experiments you will discover how deep these ideas go.
At Young Philosophers Club there's no such thing as a silly question or answer.
The clubs are led by TPF trained philosophy specialists and if you join you will:
- Learn to unpick challenging, abstract ideas.
- Think critically and independently
- Develop confidence in speaking
- Become better listeners
- Collaborate and manage conflict effectively
- Get a certificate at the end of the course.
- Have fun with philosophy!
We ran the first Young Philosophers Clubs in Autumn 2022, here's what some of the young philosophers who took part had to say about them:
"My daughter was blown away by the sessions as they triggered her imagination and pushed her to develop her own thoughts about different subjects. She can’t wait to do it again."
"She seems to be way more confident than before and she seems to be more interested in things in general and she is not afraid to speak up."
"This is such a unique activity and I would wholeheartedly recommend this to parents with inquisitive students who are looking for something to challenge them."
London (venue TBC)
6th April 2024
Sat 6th and Sun 7th April
9.00 am - 6.00 pm
28th February 2024
19.00 - 21.00 GMT
What and when?
We're delighted to announce that Young Philosophers Clubs will be back in January 2024! We're running 2 courses, 1 for 7-11 year olds and another fof 12-16 year olds.
Ethical Dilemas for 7-11 years
Starting January 18th then on January 25th, (no session February 1st) Febuary 8th, February 22nd, February 29th, March 7th, March 14th and the final session on March 21st
This course is designed to understand the nature of ethical problems. You will
explore what makes an action morally right or wrong. You will experience thinking
critically about ethical matters. At the end of this 8-week course you will have an insight
into many ethical concepts. Each week you will listen to a different story before sharing your ideas and thoughts with your peers.
Here are some of the ideas you'll explore on the course:
- Does every human have the same rights?
- What is human right?
- What makes someone responsible for an outcome?
- Should we listen to what other people think?
- What are the differences/similarities between 'need' and 'want' ?
Book your place for Ethical Dilemas here.
MindBots and Beyond: A journey into Philosophy and A.I for 12-16 years
Starting on January 16th then January 23rd, January 30th, February 6th, February 20th, February 27th, March 5th and the final session will be on March 12th.
Embark on an exciting journey into the world of Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy. Calling all young minds with a passion for curiosity! Have you ever wondered about the mysteries of how machines learn, think, and possibly dream? Join us for weekly online sessions with interactive challenges and puzzles, a chance to meet and create AI robots, and a space to question everything surrounding the world of Artificial Intelligence. Brace yourself for an adventure filled with mind-bending puzzles, and a chance to meet other young, curious minds!
What is covered in this course?
- Understand the basics of Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy
- Explore real-world examples of AI
- Look at algorithms and how they affect our thinking
- Create your own AI character
- Discover if AI really is conscious
- Examine and discuss the ethical considerations of Artificial Intelligence
- Deep dive into what a future of AI might look like
Book your place for MindBots and Beyond: A journey into Philosophy and A.I here.