Our Recommended Training Pathway
As recommended in the research undertaken by the Teacher Development Trust in 2014 (Developing Great Teaching: lessons from the international reviews into effective professional development), in order to embed good practice we suggest the following basic training path for schools looking to embed either enquiry practice or regular philosophy sessions in their schools.
- Full day or two-day INSET, which will include:
- Modelling of a philosophical enquiry or curriculum enquiry sessions
- Interactive Q&A, focused on pupil impact and learning
- Taking teachers through the main facilitation and questioning strategies
- Sessions are modelled with the students in every teacher's classroom.
- Teachers practice sessions in their own time, with online and telephone support.
- Trainers come back and observe for a day and give feedback, followed by a staff meeting to run through issues / questions / ideas that have arisen, and also give staff a model to develop their own sessions.
- We helping teachers mark the progress of their pupils via our ‘Pupil Tracker’ evaluation.
- We encourage teachers to reflect, and re-evaluate their learning via self-assessment and collaborative / peer-to-peer learning and problem solving.
- We support teachers and give them subject specific content that will help pupils develop critical thinking across the curriculum.
The most successful model we run is making use of our Resident Philosopher, who will visit your school for a day a week, working with both children and teachers. According to the research:
The most effective professional development lasted at least 2 terms - more usually a year (or longer).
Working with a Resident Philosopher means your teachers can become Associated Philosophy Teachers with The Philosophy Foundation.
As well as bespoke training we have also run specific training in:
- Science Enquiry
- Maths Enquiry
- Improving writing through dialogue
- Poetry for Thinking
Our Teacher Training has been Gold Rated by the Teacher Development Trust Advisor.
Please call us on 020 8699 9314 to discuss your requirements or via our contact us page. You can email us email@example.com.